There are many people like you so it’s important to remember you are not alone. Having a brother or sister with a disability can make a difference to the way you feel and talk about things. You might have extra worries.
Sibling Carers are children and young people (under 18yrs) who are affected by a brother or sister's disability, illness or additional needs.
As many as two pupils in every classroom have a sibling with special educational needs or disability. Sibling carers often have jobs or roles at home that your friends may not have to do such as:
● Helping with jobs around the house
● Helping with your brother or sister’s daily routine
● Looking after your brother or sister by making sure they are safe
● Giving emotional support by chatting and giving advice
● Translating, if English is not your first language
● Help with communication if someone at home uses sign language or has trouble speaking
Some things you might be experiencing are:
● Worrying about your brother or sister
● Not having so much time with your parent(s)
● Problems at school such as finishing homework or getting to class on time
● Lack of time to see your friends or take part in activities/sports
● Extra responsibilities at home
● Feeling embarrassed
● Hearing unkind comments from others about your brother or sister
● Being bullied
● Disturbed sleep
Carers in Bedfordshire have a fantastic siblings project where sibling carers can make new friends, have fun, meet other sibling carers and learn more about disability and illnesses.
Read more about the Sibling Project or contact our Siblings Coordinator Janice Sterling.
PLEASE NOTE: From 1st April 2016 support for Young Carers living in Central Bedfordshire will be provided by Central Bedfordshire Council. For more information on the support available please contact
Carers in Bedfordshire will however continue to support sibling carers that care for a brother or sister and will still be offering a range of workshops across Central Bedfordshire.
Other services still available to young carers in Central Bedfordshire include the Peer Mentor programme, Carers Grant, Cafés, Discount Card and Carers Lounge.