Carers in Bedfordshire has teamed up with Fusion Lifestyle to give family carers a 20% discount at six Bedford leisure centres Fusion operate in partnership with Bedford Borough Council.
People who help an ill, frail or disabled relative or friend who could not manage without them can now have reduced prices for classes and sessions at Bedford International Athletic Stadium, Kempston Pool, Mowsbury Golf & Squash Centre, Oasis Beach Pool, Robinson Pools & Fitness and John Bunyan Sports & Fitness
Carol Solaiman, who helped to set up the carers discount card scheme for Carers in Bedfordshire said “Money can be really tight when you are a carer. This discount will give carers an incentive to look after their own health and fitness, something we know can be neglected when you are caring for someone else. We have already heard from some carers that this will be just the thing to make them go visit their local leisure centre!””
Lisa Simpson – Sport and Community Development Manager at Fusion Lifestyle and Cllr Sarah-Jayne Holland, Portfolio Holder for Leisure and Culture at Bedford Borough Council said “it is a pleasure to work in partnership with carers in Bedfordshire and offer such individuals with a chance to look after themselves, keeping them fit, active and healthy. A FREE rewards card will also be issued to facilitate their continued participation earning points every time they visit a Fusion site.
Carers who live in Bedford Borough or Central Bedfordshire can apply online for a discount card at www.carersinbeds.org
- The Carers discount card launched in November 2015 and now has 650 carers signed up and over 70 participating businesses
- There are an estimated seven million carers in the UK, an anticipated 40,000 of them in Bedfordshire.
- A carer is someone of any age who provides unpaid support to family or friends who could not manage without their help.
- 3 in 5 of us will be carers in our lifetime. As our population ages and people live longer, often with complex health conditions, more and more of us will be called upon to care for an older, disabled or seriously ill loved one.
- Established in 2000, Fusion Lifestyle is a registered charity on a mission to make sport and leisure facilities affordable and accessible to all.
- Across Fusion sites in 2015 participation levels in sport and physical activity increased by 20% and, in recent years, over £150 million has been provided for the creation and redevelopment of state-of-the-art leisure facilities.
- 2015 saw 26 million visits to Fusion sites, including 6 million by under 19s and 1.8 million by over 60s. 30% of visits were by concessionary customers. The charity also delivered 3.5 million swimming lessons.
- Fusion works in partnership with local authorities and other public sector organisations to deliver choice and value for customers, helping them to live healthier and more active lives through over 85 sport and leisure facilities across the UK.