Vaccinations for carers
Carers who come under one of the following categories will already have received, or will soon receive, an invitation to book their vaccination:
- Those in receipt of or entitled to a carer’s allowance
- Those known to GPs who have a ‘carer’s flag’ on their primary care record
- Those known to Local Authorities who are in receipt of support following a carer’s assessment
If you are an unpaid carer providing care for someone who is at increased risk of COVID, but you are not in the categories listed above, you will need to speak to your GP surgery. Your GP will ask you some questions to determine if you are eligible for the vaccine and if appropriate will be able to add a carers flag to your record which enable an invitation to vaccination to be sent out to you.
For further information visit:
Further information at Carers UK Covid vaccine - FAQs - Carers UK
If you or a loved one you care for have a Severe Mental Illness (SMI), you are eligible for a free NHS COVID-19 vaccination now. Read further information.
Watch these videos to support and encourage people with a SMI to get their Covid vaccine. These have been produced by Public Health England:
We've teamed up with Bedford Borough Council and Central Bedfordshire Council to offer unpaid carers free PPE, including aprons, gloves, masks and a face shield.
To order visit
Our services - still here for carers
We support over 7,000 carers across Bedfordshire, all of whom will be impacted by the Covid-19 outbreak.
We have put additional resource into our telephone support service and online resources. Our 0300 111 1919 phone line will be picked up by admin and support staff who will be able to support you as normal.
If you know a carer in need or are one yourself, please do continue to contact us - we are here to help in any way we can.
- Ring 0300 111 1919 between 9.30 and 4.30pm. Calls will be diverted to our team working from home.
- Support workers will be available by email and on the phone. Check the How We Can Help section of the website for contact details.
- We are still accepting registrations and referrals.
- NHS Carers Grant applications will be processed as usual.Deadlines for spending money awarded from the Grants Scheme have been extended by 6 months to make sure everyone can benefit fully.
- Our recently re-introduced in-person activities - walking groups and wellbeing sessions - are postponed until further notice.
We are here to support you.
- For general Carers in Bedfordshire information
Useful Guidance from Carers UK
View Bedford Borough Council's Community Hub where you can volunteer or request some help if you are in need.
View Central Bedfordshire Council's website where you can volunteer or request some help if you are in need, find advice on any changes and updates to the council services.