Carer’s and Needs Assessments

A Carer’s Assessment is for carers over 18 who look after another adult. There are separate Young Carer and Transition Assessments for under 18s, as well as Parent Carer Needs Assessments.

What is a Carer's Assessment?

It’s an opportunity to record the impact caring has on your life and what support or services you need. The assessment will look at your physical, mental and emotional needs, and whether you are able or willing to carry on caring.

Under 18s can be assessed, but this is through a Young Carer’s Assessment, and for parent carers of a child under 18 the situation is different too. Carers ages 16 and 17 are also entitled to a separate Transition Assessment, as their support needs change as they approach adulthood.

The benefit of having a Carer’s Assessment

If the Council agree you have needs because of caring, they have to draw up a plan saying how the needs can be met. This could be in a variety of ways, including help from social care, paid services, and support from voluntary services and charities.

If you need paid services, they will carry out a financial assessment to work out whether you have to make a contribution, and if so much. Sometimes you or the person you’re looking after can request Direct Payments – to enable you to buy services to meet your agreed needs.

Who can get one?

You’re entitled to an assessment regardless of the amount or type of care you provide, your financial situation or your own level of need for support. You don’t necessarily have to live with the person you are looking after or be caring full-time. You may be juggling work and care and this is having a big impact on your life.

You can have an assessment whether or not the person you are looking after has had their own  needs assessment, or if the local council have decided they are not eligible for support.

If you and the person you are looking after agree, a combined assessment of both your needs can be undertaken at the same time. And there will be a ‘whole family approach’ – considering how your caring role affects others in the family too.

You can ask for a Carer’s Assessment at any time. And you can ask for it to be done again if your caring role changes.

How do I get an assessment?

Ring your local social care team and request one yourself, or request one by the clinician treating the person you care for if they are currently receiving a service. If you are a parent carer you will need to request a Parent Carer Needs Assessment. Find out more in the links below:

Bedford Borough Council Carer’s Assessment 

Parent Carer Needs Assessment – Bedford Borough (you can request the assessment through the form)

Central Bedfordshire Council Carer’s Assessment

Parent Carer Needs Assessment – Central Bedfordshire  

Assessments can be done by phone, or if your caring situation is complex, at home if you wish. Your assessment should cover:

  • your caring role and how it affects your life and wellbeing
  • your health – physical, mental and emotional issues
  • your feelings and choices about caring
  • work, study, training, leisure; as well as housing
  • relationships, social activities and your goals
  • planning for emergencies

Getting a Needs Assessment for the person you care for

If the person you are caring for is struggling to cope by themselves, you can arrange a Needs Assessment from their local council. 

The assessment will look at both their physical, mental and emotional needs. They might need help to get dressed or just an extra stair rail, but they also find out what’s important to the carer, such as them being able to carry on working or volunteering, or being able to meet friends.

A trained person will chat to them about their needs and the sort of help they could benefit from. 

Bedford Borough Council Needs Assessment 

Parent Carer Needs Assessment – Central Bedfordshire  

Central Bedfordshire Council Needs Assessment