Attendance Allowance

If you care for someone who is a pensioner and needs care or supervision because they have an illness or disability then they are eligible for claiming Attendance Allowance. If the person you care for is already in receipt of Personal Independence Payment or Disability Living Allowance then they may not be eligible to apply for Attendance Allowance.  

What is Attendance Allowance?

Attendance allowance is a benefit for the person you are caring for. It helps with extra costs if they have a disability severe enough that they need someone to help look after or keep an eye them. 

How Much is Attendance Allowance?

Attendance allowance is paid at 2 different rates  depending on the level of care that they need because of their disability. 


Level of help you need 

Lower rate – £68.10 

Frequent help or constant supervision during the day, or supervision at night 

Higher rate – £101.75 

Help or supervision throughout both day and night, or a medical professional has said you might have 6 months or less to live 


The person you care for will receive their Attendance Allowance every four weeks 

Is the person I care for eligible?

You can get Attendance Allowance if you’ve reached State Pension age and the following apply: 

  • you have a physical disability (including sensory disability, for example blindness), a mental disability (including learning difficulties), or both 
  • your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself or someone to supervise you, for your own or someone else’s safety 
  • you have needed that help for at least 6 months (unless you might have 6 months or less to live) 

You must also: 

  • be in Great Britain when you claim – there are some exceptions, such as members and family members of the armed forces 
  • have been in Great Britain for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this does not apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status) 

How do I apply for Attendance Allowance?

Use the Attendance Allowance claim form to apply by post. The form comes with notes telling you how to fill it in. 

Send the completed form to: 

Freepost DWP Attendance Allowance 

You do not need a postcode or a stamp. 

Call the Attendance Allowance helpline to ask for: 

  • a copy of the form 
  • alternative formats, such as braille, large print or audio CD 

Attendance Allowance helpline 
Telephone: 0800 731 0122 
Textphone: 0800 731 0317 
Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 731 0122 
British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer – find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet 
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm 
Find out about call charges 

What if the person I am caring for doesn't want to apply for Attendance Allowance?

If the person you care for has capacity to make their own decisions and does not wish to apply for Attendance Allowance then you must respect their wishes   

If the person your care for does not have capacity to make their own decisions you can make the application on their behalf, you will be asked whether you hold Power of Attorney to act on behalf of the person you care for as part of the application 

Can my claim be backdated?

Attendance Allowance can be backdated to the date of your claim. This is usually the date your form is received or the date you call the enquiry line (if you then return the claim pack within 6 weeks). 


Attendance Allowance is a non-means tested benefit and no financial assessment is needed to complete the application