Time to Move?

If you are new to caring or your caring role has changed. There are changes that you might need to make around your home to make things easier. If your house is really no longer fit for purpose you may have to consider some alternative solutions. 

Could I adapt my home?

Age UK gives a number of ideas on how to adapt a home.  The local councils can discuss any adaptations that might be needed (subject to eligibility).  See Bedford Borough Council and Central Bedfordshire Council.  Age UK Bedfordshire offers a handyperson service  to help with small DIY jobs. 

It might be a good idea to put up a key safe outside the front door in case the person you care for cannot come to the front door.  Age UK Bedfordshire supply and fit key safes (there is a cost). Contact on 01234 360 510. 

If you are worried about home security, then contact the Bobby Scheme on 01234 842 619. They will carry out a home visit and make recommendations on how to improve the security of a home. 

If you are concerned about a person’s safety in the home you might find that Telecare will provide peace of mind. 


There are some useful tips here for equipment around the home that can help. 

If you still feel that the home is not suitable for the person’s needs, discuss this with your local authority. 

My current home is no longer suitable

Sometimes it is clear that a home is no longer suitable due to changing health needs. If there is no way the home can be adapted sufficiently to accommodate these needs, there are some options to find more suitable accommodation. 

Speak to your local authority and request a Needs Assessment, through this they will be able to advise on what the alternative options are. These options could be looking at supported living schemes, relocating to a more suitable home, or investigating whether a care home might be the safest option. 

To request a Needs Assessment from Bedford Borough https://www.bedford.gov.uk/social-care-and-health/adult-social-care/support-we-can-offer-you or from Central Bedfordshire https://www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/info/18/health_and_social_care/337/getting_care_and_support 

To look for a care home within Bedfordshire, please look at the Bedfordshire and Luton Care Directory https://www.carechoices.co.uk/publication/bedfordshire-care-services-directory/