Our Carers Lounges act as a friendly, confidential space inside Bedford Hosptial and Luton & Dunstable University Hospital, for family and friends of patients to drop in and take a break from the busy hospital setting.
It is a place for you to come and unwind, get some advice and emotional support especially when things can get quite overwhelming. We know supporting a loved one, both in hospital and out, can be distressing and it can be a real strain to cope with your new or ongoing caring role. The Lounges act as a place for you to recharge, find support or simply just to have a coffee with someone to talk to.
In our Lounges, you can meet some of our carer support workers, many of whom specialise in different areas of carer support. While you're there you can access our range of services including; 1-1 support, NHS grants, groups & training programme, relaxation therapy, counselling and more.
We also have information of other organisations, both local and national, such as Age UK, Keech Hospice, Alzheimers Society and the Stroke Association available and can signpost you to the best help that you need at the time.
No appointments or referrals needed.
The Bedford Hospital Lounge (South Wing)
- Monday-Friday 10am-5pm
- Outside of these times, you can post your details and a message through the letter box on the door
- Health and care information, support, a listening ear and a cup of tea!
- 01234 355122 (ext 5247 or ask for Carers Lounge) 07794 005996
- The lounge opened in 2012 and has won a national Patient Experience Award in 2015
- The lounge is situated in the South Wing, off the Britannia Road corridor, opposite the Faith rooms and towards the Commitee room and then is first on the left.
- Lounge Coordinator - Amanda Thaxter (see below)
The Luton & Dunstable University Hospital Lounge
- This our newest Lounge and opened in October 2015
- Mon-Fri 10am-5pm
- Information and support. Other charities like Keech, MIND, Luton Confident Carers also provide drop in services
- 01582 491166 (ext 2362 or ask for Carers Lounge) 07471 038398
- The lounge is situated on the ground floor of the St Mary's Wing, it is directly in front of you as you go through the main doors to the wing
- Lounge Coordinator - Maria Panteli (see below)